Bouillabaisse is the perfect Fish soup to warm you up during the cold winter months! Andrew, our head chef shares his favourite Bouillabisse Recipe.
Click to find out our Top Seafood Tips & Treats.
Our Fantastic Fish!, Ultimate Knife Confidence and Fine Dining DIY classes all teach you how prepare fish with confidence.
Ingredients (serves 8)
For the Fish Stock (base for the soup)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek (roughly chopped)
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- 3 sticks celery (chopped)
- 1 bulb fennel (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 450g Ripe tomatoes
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 white peppercorns
- 3 litres boiling water
- 1kg mixed Rock Fish
For the Soup
- 2kg mixed fish and seafood (Seabass/bream, Red Snapper, Mussels, Clams, Prawns and Mullet)
- 500g Waxy Potatoes (Desiree work well) peeled and cut into barrel shape
- 3 pinches of saffron strands
- 10 basil leaves (torn)
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- Make the stock and heat the olive oil in a large based pan over a medium heat.
- Add the leek, onion, celery, garlic tomato, thyme and bay leaf. Fry gently until the vegetables have softened (approx 5 mins).
- Add the assorted rock fish, boiling water and white peppercorns.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pass the stock through a sieve and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- To make the soup, place the potatoes, fish stock and saffron in a large heavy based saucepan.
- Bring back to the boil and cook the potatoes for about 10-12 minutes until nearly cooked.
- Add the assorted fish to the sauce pan and simmer for about 8-10 minutes until the fish is tender (depending on size).
- Add the dill and basil before serving to add freshness.
- Serve with crusty bread and aioli or rouille.