250g plain flour
1 pinch salt
50ml coconut milk
5 grams dried yeast
8 mini portobello mushrooms
1tsp Chinese 5 spice
2 tsp mirin
1 bunch fresh coriander
30g salted peanuts
1. Combine the flour salt and sugar in a bowl.
2. Add the yeast to the lukewarm water and allow to activate.
3. Add the coconut to the yeast mix and incorporate into the flour.
4. Combine and knead for ten minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
5. Rub with olive oil and cling film, allow to prove for 20 minutes,
6. Portion the dough into 8 balls and flatten out into oval shapes. Oil the dough on one side and fold once.
7. Place on squares of baking parchment and repeat the oil, clingfilm and resting process. Once doubled in size, place on a wire rack into a deep roasting tray. Pour boiling water in the bottom of the tray but make sure not to touch the buns.
8. Immediately cover with clingfilm and put in the oven at 160 for 20 minutes or until steamed.
9. While steaming, fry off the mushrooms with the Chinese spice and finish with mirin.
10. Cut the cucumber and carrot into julienne strips and roughly chop the coriander.
11. Chop the peanuts until into a rough crumb.
12. To serve open the bun and place a mushroom in the centre, top with cucumber, carrot, coriander, and hoisin sauce and finish with a sprinkle of peanut crumb.
Photo credits - China Squirrel